One of the first things you need to do when starting a business is finding your new headquarters. Of course, if yours is an online company, this might prove less troublesome than if it were physical and required you to look at specific places with access to infrastructures such as roads or utilities. But even so, most startup founders eventually come across one question: should we buy land on the moon?
Are you interested in buying lunar real estate? Great! There are a few things to consider.
1) Who owns the moon?
The Outer Space Treaty of 1967 is an international agreement that states that no nation can own any part of outer space, including the Moon and other celestial bodies. This treaty has been signed by over 100 countries, including the United States.
2) Who can buy moon real estate?
Since no nation can own the moon, anyone can buy land. However, a few companies sell lunar real estate, and they all have different rules about who can purchase a property.
Some things you’ll want to keep in mind if you’re looking into buying some lunar acreage:
– Price: Lunar real estate is not cheap. An acre on the moon’s going rate is currently around $24,000.
– Size: Most properties are pretty small, averaging around 0.62 acres.
– Registration: You’ll need to register your property with the company you buy it from. This usually costs a few hundred dollars and can take several months to process.
– Location: The closer you are to the “Sea of Tranquility,” where Apollo 11 landed, the more desirable your property will be. Try and get as close as possible!
– Usage Rights: Most companies that sell lunar real estate won’t let you do anything with it except look at it from Earth using a telescope.
– Upkeep: You are responsible for any property taxes or insurance on your lunar real estate.
3) What are the benefits of owning lunar real estate?
The main benefit of owning land on the moon is bragging rights. It’s a pretty exclusive club, and being a part of it will make you feel pretty special.
In addition, if you’re looking for an investment, lunar real estate is a good option. The value of properties on the moon has increased by around 500% in the last decade, and analysts expect it to continue rising as more people buy up land on Earth’s nearest neighbor.
4) Are there any risks associated with owning lunar real estate?
The main risk is that the company you buy your property from could go bankrupt. If this happens, you may not be able to get your money back or access your land. So make sure you do your research and only deal with reputable companies!
5) What are the taxes and regulations associated with owning lunar real estate?
As mentioned earlier, you are responsible for any property taxes or insurance on your lunar real estate. In addition, you will need to abide by any applicable space regulations. These vary from country to country, so make sure you familiarize yourself with them before making any purchases.
So, should you buy moon real estate? That’s for you to decide, but if you’re looking into it, make sure you consider all the factors before making a purchase.